Thursday 10 March 2016

First Blog entry . . . a fly I'm really pleased with.

I have some fly patterns that I really wouldn't want to be without, go to patterns that have proved  their worth over years, ones that engender considerable confidence that they will 'work'. So, over the winter period I strive to replenish the gaps left in my fly boxes where these patterns have been, but I have a problem. . . my personality is such that I struggle with the sheer discipline required to tie six of the same pattern, in four different sizes . . . my mind begins to wander and I start to imagine what else might work.
So it was back in November when I was hopelessly trying to fill a box with Flashback Pheasant Tail and Hare's Ear nymphs in various combinations of sizes and styles. . .  I spotted some yellow dyed pheasant lying on a yellow dyed partridge skin. It looked a combination with possibilities, I started to look at the mild Autumn weather outside the window and of the planned float tubing trips to Elinor Trout Fishery. . . the nymph box was put to one side.


 . . . and here's the end result . . .


The dressing . . . 

Hook: Hayabusa 373, Size 10
Thread:UTC Ultra 70D, Yellow Olive
Tail: Yellow dyed partridge 
Body: Yellow dyed pheasant tail
Rib: UTC Ultra wire, SM, Fl. Yellow
Thorax: Hareline Ice Dub, Olive
Hackle: Yellow dyed partridge

It is a dressing that has proven to be hugely successful for me, three float tube trips to Elinor in November and December producing 51 fish, almost all to this pattern. Subsequently, I've tied it as a bead head on a size 12 TMC200R which has been equally successful. Here's a somewhat 'chewed' example . . .


I use a lot of my own patterns, mostly variations of well known and established dressings and I don't give them 'names'. This one however, has been so successful I've nicknamed it the 'Magnet'! Give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment